Thursday, February 11, 2010

Women'sDay Red Dress Awards 2010


By: Shane Terenzi

Last night I got to work the Red Dress Awards as the makeup artist for the event. It was a lot of work but so much fun. I had the opportunity to do makeup for such inspirational women that have had to go through such challenging obstacles. The Red Dress Awards were created 7 years ago to honor those who are leading the fight against heart disease, the number one killer of women. To listen to some of the stories these women told was truly humbling. I am so proud to be a part of this event.

The makeup for the evening was all about a bolder eye than lip. I got to have a little more fun with the makeup for Anna Trebunskaya, from Dancing With The Stars. When she walked in she knew exactly what she wanted - a clean eye that stood out and a red gloss lip. It is so helpful for a makeup artist to know what the client wants - I took what she said and then applied my design with what I thought would make her look the best. She looked great! For her eye, I started with a brownish gold on the outer edge and worked my way in. Taking a pinkish skin tone color, blended the brown into the pink so at the bridge of her nose, it was the lightest. To add a little accent of reddish/orange to the eye to tie it in with the dress, I did a light dusting of an orange eye shadow over the brown. I finished off the eye with a pair of false lashes and a black eye liner.


At the after party of the event, I got a little dose of this season of Project Runway. First of all, I was able to talk to Ping Wu, a designer from this season. Ping talked about the challenges of Project Runway stating how with such design restrictions (aka making a dress out of a potato sack for instance) is not the way she designs, she is very organic from within. Also, Ping is going to show in the final level of a competition at arts fair in Baltimore at the end of February. I also go to see the dress that won last weeks challenge on the television show (to be featured at The Red Dress Awards last night). It was absolutely stunning. Amy Sarabi, the designer, commented on that it was a very hard challenge for two reasons, one they had to make the dress fit a real women, not a model and secondly they were effecting someone with there dress. This dress was for a woman that has been tragically affected by Heart Disease and she wanted to make her happy to be in the outfit.

Throughout the night, I saw these amazing women, with such inspirational stories of how they overcome such a devastating disease, reaching out and spreading the word. There was happiness, tears, and every emotion in between but the overlaying emotion was gratefulness; from the celebrities that were able to be a part of the event, to the women that overcame such a large hurtle in their lives.

The makeup I used on Anna was Make Up For Ever’s HD Liquid Foundation, the eye shadow was MUD’s Galaxy, Cashmere, and Dulce de Leche, and her lips had Smashbox’s Legendary with O-Plump to finish them off.



Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sterenzi_makeup


Photo Credit: Anna- Amy Sussman, B&W pics- MVS Studios, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment